Tuesday 14 May 2013

What snakes are really like!

When you think of snakes, what comes to mind?


This?















Most captive bred that are well looked after and handled regularly with care are very unlikely to strike out for no reason. Snakes that are often kept as pets such as: Royals, Corns, Hognose, etc do not have huge penetrating fangs. Yes they do have teeth but they face backwards to grip on to their prey and they are certainly nothing like the fangs of a cobra or viper. Humans can have allergic reaction to a bite from a hognose but this is extremely rare and will be similar to a bee sting. Most pet snakes are constrictors and lack venom therefore smaller breeds are not capable of killing a person!

If you have never held a snake and think that they are slimy you would be very wrong! Snakes skin is rather soft and is actually made from keratin which is the same as a human's hair and nails. Snakes are naturally shy creatures and will often try to squirm away from you although when handling occurs regularly snakes can become used to human contact and rather seem to enjoy it. I personally enjoy handling snakes and find that they feel quite nice and are a joy to hold. Nothing to be scared off!

The first sign that a snake is distressed or angry is hissing or tail rattling. Normally this does not occur for no reason. Like humans, cats and dogs, sometimes a snake can get moody and wants to be left alone. Stress can also occur when the environment is not adequate for the snake as they all have different needs. It's valuable to read your snake and gauge it's mood. I can not stress enough that a snake will not hiss, bite or tail rattle for no reason and therefore again it is nothing to be afraid of.










































The best way to eradicate a fear is to face it. Go to your local pet shop and first observe the snakes and then when you feel comfortable enough, hold one! Believe it or not that is how I got into snakes and learned that they are not what I thought they were. I used to believe they felt like holding an eel! Now I have three!

2 comments:

  1. This is really interesting. You've made me want to go to my pet shop now and hold a snake but small to start with lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking an interest. I am glad that you are perpared to hold a snake. The first snake I held was a burmese python. I went to my pet shop and it was the first one they gave me to hold. i enjoyed the experience and soon after got my corn snakes.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.