Sunday 26 May 2013

Shedding Part Two with Video

This is a follow up post regarding shedding as my pet snake Crimson recently went through this amazing process. She is now much brighter and more active.

In shed














After shed
















As you can see in the pictures, she looks like a different snake entirely. Don't be surprised that snakes sometimes defecate in the shed skin or near it. It's important to remove the skin from the vivarium as you will need to check that it is complete and intact. If the shed is really fresh, it will feel sticky but otherwise it feels like dry tissue paper. Also ensure that the snake has not retained any scales, especially the eye caps and tail tip, as this cuts of blood flow and can lead to a very ill animal. Have a look at my previous shedding post for more details.

As I have had a request about if a snake shed is coloured, the answer is no. The shedding appears to be white but is slightly transparent. It also feels like paper and is generally up to 40% larger than the snake so measuring the shed is not an easy way to measure the snake believe me I have tried! Don't forget to have a look at my previous post on shedding for more information.




Crimson's complete shed


















Recently I was lucky to catch a few moments of my corn snake Snowy shedding on camera. Sorry for the poor quality but the room was dark. Shedding is an amazing process to witness and few owners are lucky to see their snakes shedding.


2 comments:

  1. Just wondering if the shedded skin is colored? Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a really good question, one that i should have included in my post. Shed skin is white in colour and appears slightly transparent. I will take a photo of my snake shedding and add to to the post. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment.