Thursday 30 May 2013

The joys of fussy eaters

Tonight was feeding night for all my animals and the corns done well and seem to be gaining 5-8 grams per week. I also gutted their tank, disinfected and replaced all the bedding. On the other hand, my royal python Blaze made me highly frustrated by once again refusing to eat. Although he struck his meal aggressively, he spent so long trying to find the head of the rat that he gave up eating. Therefore I will not stress him out and leave him for a few days before trying again. I find this disappointing as I would like him to gain enough weight so I can breed him next breeding season.

The fussy snake Blaze







Sadly this has happened a few times with Blaze and I may have to look at where I am going wrong. I have tried dimming the lights at feeding time and have ensured his food was heated. His vivarium is at the correct temperature and humidity is good. Maybe he is stressed with being handled too often as I do lift him often, once a day for twenty minutes. Might try cutting this down to three or four times per week, although he does seem to like being handled. If this does not work I will try the braining technique.

I understand that sometimes pythons do go off their food and it's normal for them to refuse to eat. So I will try not to get disheartened by the experience and try not to worry, although this is difficult. This is the third time Blaze has refused to eat although it has not been continuous. For further information and advice have a look at my past article by clicking here.

If anyone has any other tips for aiding a fussy python or have additional information, please comment below. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.