Monday 10 June 2013

If only I could own

Like all reptile enthusiasts, I am always wanting to add more to my already growing collection. Today's post is about what I would like to own if I could care for them properly and have the necessary equipment plus room to keep them.  Feel free to add comments about what animals that you would like to own.

Firstly on my wanted list is a super fire orange dream yellowbelly ball python. I would like this snake because it is beautiful, the colours are intense and the morph is so clean. Also, it would produce some interesting offspring if I were to pair it with my bumblebee. From personal experience, ball pythons make great pets and are reluctant to bite.


Super Fire Orange Dream Yellowbelly Royal Python
















The second snake on my wanted list is out of my comfort zone, as I have no experience working with large snakes although I have handled a few. The one I wish I could own is the orange ghost stripe tiger reticulated python. This animal is a show-stopper and would make a great show snake as it is rather large with beautiful colours. Reticulated pythons are the longest breed of snake.

Orange Ghost Stripe Reticulated Python
















The third choice of snake would be an albino burmese python. This type of reptile was the first type that I ever held and I view them as gentle giants, although they are not to everyone's taste. When I think about albino pythons, I always remember the time I held one and how happy it made me feel. Warning: before purchasing a burmese (burm) or a reticulated (retic) python, do your research and when you handle one, do NOT do this alone as sometimes they can get a feeding response. Furthermore they can get very heavy.

Albino Burmese Python
















Fourthly on my list is a venomous reptile and this is the rattlesnake. I think that rattlesnakes are amazing creatures and are quite cute. I especially love their rattles as it is an ingenious way to warn predators that come close. To own a rattlesnake, you need training and a permit in order to keep one and even with that, there is still a huge risk of being bitten. Please find a link at the bottom of this post if you require additional information on venomous reptiles.

Northern Pacific Rattlesnake

















Snakes are not the only reptile on my wanted list. I am also a massive fans of lizards and have mentioned this in previous posts as I really admire leopard geckos.

First lizard on my list is a leopard gecko. I am actually trying to convince my family to let me get a leopard gecko. I love the variety of morphs available in the reptile trade and the fact that they make great pets and do not require as much care as other lizards. Maybe one day soon I will be able to own one. I also love the way they always look like they're smiling and are very cute lizards.


Leopard Gecko
















Finally on my most wanted reptile list is a rhino iguana. The pet shop that I used to go to had a rhino iguana and he was a gentle giant. I am convinced he thought he was a puppy as he would pine for chips if customers brought them in! He also liked pulling cute expressions and receiving lots of attention. Sadly the reptile shop that had him closed down and I actually miss him and if it was not for social networking I would never have found out what type of lizard he is.

Rhino Iguana
















Some previous posts contain further information about some of the fabulous creatures on this list:

2 comments:

  1. Great post Leann! That leopard ghekko is really cute! Might see if jonny wd like to get one! But it wd have to b a female because Bud wd get territorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will probably take a lot of convincing for Phil to let m get one lol. They are adorable! Would Bud be ok with one?

      Delete

Please leave a comment.